- Sealcoating can be applied for PENNIES per square foot.
- Replacing an asphalt surface can cost up to 25 times as much as sealcoating. Sealcoating extends the life of asphalt surfaces by as much as 300% and should be applied every other year.
- Sealcoat fills the naturally porous surface of asphalt, protecting it from the damaging effects of water, gasoline, oil, salt and chemicals.
- Water and sun are the most damaging elements to the surface of the asphalt. Water freezes and expands, increasing the cracks in the blacktop. The sun dries out the surface, making it brittle. Surfaces that remain unprotected will develop hairline cracks allowing these elements to penetrate the surface of the driveway or parking lot.
- The new look of your driveway will affect the entire curb appeal of your property.
- Snow will melt faster off a freshly sealcoated driveway's black surface. We also mix four pounds of silica sand into our sealcoat which gives some great traction to an otherwise slippery driveway.
Reasons to Sealcoat your Asphalt
Good asphalt maintenance is a must in order to extend the life of your driveway or parking lot and to keep it looking new. We use a coal tar emulsion sealer that is applied to the surface of asphalt to protect and preserve the integrity of the pavement. Surfaces that remain unprotected will develop hairline cracks which allows the elements to penetrate the surface of the driveway or parking lot. This will lead to the premature failure of your asphalt.
Protects from Freeze/Thaw Cycle
Water is one of the most damaging elements to your asphalt surface. When frozen, water expands in volume and becomes one of the strongest forces in nature. The problem with water collecting in the pores and cracks of asphalt is that the surface freezes first, forcing the ice to move downward. This, in turn, will cause deep cracking of the asphalt down to the gravel base which will soften and damage the integrity of the base leading to further deterioration of the asphalt surface. If water is continually allowed to penetrate the surface of the asphalt, the effect of the freeze/thaw cycle will destroy the asphalt in a short period of time.
Protects Surface From Drying Out
Sealcoating will also restore the elasticity to the surface of the asphalt. Asphalt is elastic by nature which is a good thing, since it expands and contracts from the heat of the sun. Asphalt, being black in color, absorbs heat from the sun very efficiently. If the asphalt is left unprotected, that heat will dry out the blacktop and and cause it to become brittle. This will lead to cracking and "alligatoring" followed by premature failure of the asphalt.
Keeps the Weeds at Bay
We've all seen how powerful the force of growing vegetation can be through a concrete surface. Well imagine what would happen to your asphalt driveway if we didn't edge the driveway and fill the cracks every other year as part of our service. Keeping these weeds from encroaching on your blacktop is imperative, and it's never a bad idea to spray any weeds you see coming up through the asphalt.